Thursday, November 12, 2009

News Reporting

When I first came into the news reporting class, I didn’t really know what to think. However, after the first few days I knew it would be one of my favorite classes. It’s taught by Rob Priewe, and he really lets you be yourself. So if you’re into writing this is a great class to take.

So far in the class I’ve learned that there are so many different ways of writing a story. You don’t have to stick with one specific style. You can choose one that fits your story best. I’ve also learned that not everyone is going to cover a news story the same way. It’s okay to do things your own way as long as you get the coverage that you need. One of the other things that I learned was on one of the first days of class. Less is more. This is probably one of the best rules I learned. Its helps to cut the rambling and just makes your stories easier to read.


I like the fact that Rob really allows us to talk about what we think about the stories and he actually takes in what we think. It’s really nice to be able to express what I have to say and also listen to what other people are thinking as well. Everyone in the class gets the chance to express their own individual writing styles and give feedback to you and show you something you may have never noticed before. The only reason I really took this class was to just get a feel for reporting stories, and I never thought I’d learn so much. News reporting has really helped me grow as a writer and that then helped me in some of my other classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment